Referral to Hospital by Your GP
You are entitled to ask for a referral for specialist treatment on the NHS. However, whether you will get the referral depends on what your GP feels is clinically necessary in your case.
If you wish to be referred to a specialist in a particular field, such as a surgeon, or a gynaecologist (a specialist in the female reproductive system), you should see the GP you are registered with. This is because all your medical records are held by that Practice. Your GP also generally understands your health history and treatments better than anyone and will base any decision for a specialist referral on this knowledge.
- When you attend your G.P. please give them details of all unavailability and if you would require an interpreter to be in attendance at your appointment
- Please ensure that all contact information is up to date
- Your GP will then send an electronic referral to the hospital within your catchment area
- Referral is then processed by the Hospital
- You should be normally be appointed within 12 weeks, this maybe sooner if your Doctor has classed your referral as urgent – Please do not contact the Practice before this time to check on the progress of your referral
- You can if you wish contact the Hospital Department directly that you have been referred to, if you have any concerns
- If you still have any questions about your referral then please contact the Practice
For further Information please visit: NHS Choices
You can also phone the NHS e-Referral Service line on 0345 6088888 (open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and on weekends and bank holidays 8am to 4pm) for further help.
NHS e-Referral Tracking
If your doctor has referred you to a specialist for further care you will be asked to book your appointment using the ‘NHS e-Referral’ system.
You will receive a letter from us within 2 weeks giving details of how to book your appointment and any passwords you may need.
To track your e-Referral you will need the following details to log into the e-Referral website:
- Your date of birth
- Reference number – this will be on the first page of your letter
- Password – this will be on the second page of your letter
To track an e-Referral, click here.